Whether you find yourself interested in seeking out the messages your guides and angels are trying to communicate to you, or if you’re feeling a little lost, an angel card reading opens a channel drawing angelic wisdom your way. Angel cards embody positive energy and provide the tools to manifest love and light by creating a pathway to fulfilling our heart’s desires.
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. – Michelangelo
What are angel cards and what do they do?
Angel cards—or angel oracle cards— offer positive affirmations and guidance for everyday queries, or more complex and troubling issues. These cards provide healing energy to bring inspiration and comfort. They are often described as less threatening than tarot cards. Tarot imagery and interpretations are drawn from the light and the dark, the positive and the negative. For example, in a Tarot reading the Death card, the Tower card, and the Devil, though varied in meaning, rarely provide comfort when they fall in a spread. Angel cards, however, are meant to uplift and support those seeking guidance regarding love, relationships, money, and other common areas of uncertainty and worry.
Angel cards connect with the angelic realms. They facilitate the flow of information and messages between angels, guides, and yourself. Your guides and angels are always supporting you. Using angel cards allows you to receive the messages and wisdom these energies are channeling to you. Also, using angel cards can create a relaxing morning or evening ritual, whether you’re reading first thing in the morning, or winding down in the evening trying to make sense of the events of your day. If you’ve ever had or considered getting a tarot reading done, you might find that some readers tend to include an angel card as part of the tarot reading to add positivity and inspiration. If you’ve had a particularly upbeat reading, the angel card is often used to focus your energies and ground your aspirations making it easy to concentrate on a specific goal so that it may be achieved. If your reading was not exactly positive, the angel card offers a positive point of focus for meditation and channeling, providing the tools to manifest your dreams.
Angel cards are often read on their own. If you’re thinking of doing your own angel card reading, the following steps and suggestions will put you on the right path.
Choosing the right deck for angel cards
While there is no “wrong deck,” keep in mind that the process of choosing the right deck for you should involve some consideration. As you browse the decks available to you: Do you find that there is one you connect with? A deck with imagery you find particularly appealing? One that just speaks to you intuitively? One piece of advice is to choose a deck that allows for interpretation. It is not simply the angelic image that appears before you, but the images and symbols associated with a particular angel or energy that are present in that image. These images and symbols are important tools for interpretation, and signs from your own angels and guides.
Set your intentions.
Before laying out the cards, take a moment to set your intentions for the reading. Some choose to perform a short prayer asking for guidance, expressing love and gratitude for the opportunity to connect with angels and guides. For a minute or two, hold the cards in your hands. Close your eyes and spend a moment collecting your thoughts. If your reading is meant to answer a specific question, what exactly do you want to know? What is it you want more guidance about? Perhaps your intention is as simple as wanting to know how your day will unfold. Being clear about your intention allows you to connect with the cards and angel energies to draw forth the answers to your questions.
Selecting a spread.
Depending on the type of question you are asking or the type of advice you are seeking, you’ll need to decide on a spread, or card layout. Get started with any of these options:
- One-card layout. As easy as it sounds! Select one card from the deck, and there you have it! This spread is ideal for beginners looking to learn the various cards in the deck, a daily reading, or doing a simple check-in with your guides and angels if you have a quick question, or if you want to know if they have anything they would like to share with you.
- Two-card layout. In this spread, the first card drawn represents your current situation. The second card indicates where the day is headed and the inspiring light energy you’ll need to carry with you during the day. A second card tends to add a bit of extra clarity to a quick reading.
- Three-card layout. For a slightly more involved spread, try a three-card layout, where three cards are laid out in succession from left to right. The three-card reading often unfolds in the ‘past, present and future’ format. However, feel free to assign meanings to the placements on your own.
This important step allows you to pause and visualize how the reading will unfold in a way that suits your needs. If you’re feeling adventurous, try designing your own spread. This would take the form of intuitively laying out the cards, as few or as many as are required. Keep in mind, the simplest readings tend to be the most effective, so try not to overwhelm yourself with too many energies at once.
Deciding how to draw your cards.
This is entirely a personal preference. Angel oracle cards tend to be larger than your average deck of playing cards and many find them cumbersome to shuffle in the conventional sense, and that is okay! You want to make sure the deck is mixed to your satisfaction. Think of this step as a way to charge the cards with your personal energy and prepare them for action. While mixing the deck, focus on your intention for the reading—your specific question, or general intention.
When you have prepared the deck, it’s time to draw your cards. You may choose to:
- Fan or sweep the cards into a semicircle pattern. Then ‘pull cards’ that you are drawn to.
- Shuffle and ‘cut’ the deck. If you are shuffling and cutting the deck, you might try to pause and feel for the ‘Goldilocks’ place in the stack—the spot that’s just right—and cut the cards there. Draw however many cards needed for the spread you’ve chosen.
Interpreting the cards.
Once your cards are laid out in your chosen pattern, it is time to reveal the messages from your angels and guides. The interpretation stage of the reading is where people find themselves most insecure, as if they do not possess on their own the tools to make sense of the message being communicated. For this purpose, angel cards come with an enclosed booklet that explains the meaning of each card. Standard interpretations and keywords are included to help you decode the meaning of the image and offer insight that answers your question and supports your intention. If you’re looking for the basic meaning of the card, the booklet is a great resource. While the booklet is helpful in familiarizing yourself with the cards and their meanings, especially if you are new to angel card readings, some find the standard interpretations to be a bit rigid in the sense that these set-in meanings create boundaries for interpretation. However, there are other methods for interpreting angel cards that are less structured and tap into your intuition.
A great way to interpret card meanings is simply looking at the card itself. This is an important step in the interpretation process, as it can reveal quite a bit about what your guides and angels are trying to communicate. What images and symbols are visible? Do any images and symbols in the card or cards hold personal significance to you? If so, it is likely that your guides and angels are using these special symbols to communicate a message. You could find that the image itself resonates deeply with you for reasons outside of the standard interpretation. Taking this quick visual step before you reach for the booklet allows for a moment to absorb messages from spirit.
Two more suggestions on card interpretation.
- Do a little extra research. The standard booklet interpretation is not the only way to interpret your cards. Interpretations can vary. Looking at different card interpretations reveals the multiple ways images can be decoded, and new perspectives enhance our understanding of card meanings, including how these cards might relate to each other in the event that you’ve chosen a more complex spread. You can do a quick web search to find the meanings of cards and symbols. Just be cautious and avoid using extra research to seek the answer want rather than accepting the wisdom the cards are communicating to you.
- Try activating your ‘third eye’. The space between the brows is known as the third eye (or sixth) chakra. This focal point is represented by the color indigo and is associated with mental awareness, clarity, and intuition. If you’ve ever wanted to hone your channeling skills, take a meditative moment to breathe and focus on this energy point. Close your eyes and breathe. Imagine the color indigo radiating positive energy from between the brows. Think about the cards you’ve drawn. Focus on this point between the eyes and see if you can channel the message from your angels and guides, and allow this moment to help develop your interpretive skills.
Close your reading.
End your reading by thanking your angels and guides for their wisdom and light energy. Saying a short prayer to properly close out your communication with these spiritual channels honors their wisdom and shows your appreciation for these healing energies.
If you’re ready to connect with your angels and guides, these steps will build your connections to these energies. Your guides and angels are always there for you, wanting to bring out your best. Incorporating angel cards in your spiritual practice will make these messages clear and purposeful in your everyday life.